My silly boys

My silly boys
Can you say cheese?

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Ken's horrible, terrible, no good, very bad day

I've been helping Ken work on his architecture class models. He has to build tiny little buildings with thin little bass wood sticks and planks, and glue. The other night we stayed up most the night working on the project. This model shows how a particular modular home is built. It uses sections of the house which are prefab'd (built off-site and trucked to the building site) which are then put toghether. Anyway it was looking really good. He stained some of the planks and scored lines in them to make it look like wood siding and he really puts a lot of effort into his work. He was actually ahead of schedule which was nice for a change. Notice all the past pretenses I've been using....It was a very nice model....

Ken called me from school feeling very low. The teacher had suggested that he add a lot more detail to his model. He also was beginning to feel frustrated using the Auto-Cad program which can be very complicated. He was going on very little sleep and probably didn't have much to eat for dinner. He actually said he felt like quitting....Just before the cell phone battery died he told me he was just going to pack up his stuff and come home to try to get a decent night sleep.

1 hour later:

Ken walks in looking even more dejected than he had sounded on the phone....His first words were "It got worse".....how in the world could his day get worse? He went on to tell me how he had just gotten on his bike to ride to the lot where he parks. His paper bag holding all his models hanging from the handle bars...some guy in a big hurry comes flying down the sidewalk right toward Ken so Ken swerves and is launched head over handlebars and landed right on top of his bag of models....crushing them. CRUSHING THEM! All his hard work gone. I'm pretty sure he spent a few tears on the drive home. My poor sweet husband. It's pretty hard to see my husband feeling so low...He is usually my rock.

We got to work right away salvaging anything we could and stayed up most of that night rebuilding. Thankfully the process was quicker the 2nd time around and it really is fun spending quality time with Ken. I love him to "pieces."

2 comments:

Anna said...

OOOOOOOh!!!!!!!!!!! I am so sorry for all of that! Give Ken a hug for us. Wow! What a day! Hopefully tomorrow will be the Great, Magnificent, fabulous, very Good Day!

What a wife to stay of with him. We love you BOTH to "pieces".

Katie said...

Oh no!!! I'm so sorry. I can imagine how heart breaking that would have been. (((hugs)))